Sunday, June 28, 2009

Music Festival and more Botswana culture!

On our first Saturday in Botswana, we decided to go to a French music festival, which wasn't even french music...we were relieved. It was held at a venue called Botswanacraft and it was another beautiful sunny day. The festival lasted all afternoon and went until midnight, but we left early in the evening. It was quite a mix of music, including poetry/folk, traditional, classical, hip hop, pop, heavy metal, hard rock, jazz, blues-everything! They were selling food and drinks for pretty cheap so we were able to stay there all afternoon and just eat there. We also got to do some shopping at the craft store, which was fun :) There were a lot of kids who were performing which was nice to see. The second group to perform was called Mogwana. They were a traditional group made up of young people whose ages ranged from probably 15 to 25. They came out drumming, singing and dancing. I immediately had chills all over and it didn't stop there. From the moment they opened their mouths, the tears started coming. Thank god for big sunglasses! :) I was so touched and overwhelmed by the sound of their harmonizing voices, the beat of their claps and stomps, and just the pure joy and passion that showed on their faces and through their smiles. I can't even explain the feeling had watching and listening to them. I couldn't even respond to the people around me because I was so emotionally engulfed in their performance. Like I said, I was so touched by the commitment and passion and TALENT that these young people were sharing. BEAUTIFUL. What I experienced there is something that I will remember from this trip forever. So if you haven't gotten the idea, I absolutely loved it :)
Mogwana-Traditional singing and dancing group
so talented
these guys were ridiculous-they wore these padded things on their ankles, and as they jumped and danced around their would hit them with their hands, adding more to the beat of the song.
their smiles...ahhh!! you can tell that they LOVED what they were doing. I wish everyone could experience passion like that :)
end of their performance...so incredible! I didn't want it to end!

A moment during this week that was quite a cultural experience for me. We have been eating chicken and/or beef pretty much for every meal. One night this week the meat option was something a little different. When we asked what it was, they said it was the intestines from the cow...soooo basically where the cows food becomes...well, you know. EW. So some of us figured that we would be polite and open-minded and try it. At first, it wasn't too bad, but after you swallowed it, not so good. It literally tasted the way poop smells. I know that's graphic and really gross, but there is no other way to describe it. Needless to say, I will not be tasting anymore cow intestine.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy, It was so great to talk to you and Zach yesterday. You are so far away but sounded so close. Thanks for being there for his birthday. I miss both of you. I am enjoying your blog. Sounds like the festival was very moving and something you will never forget. I know you and Z are loving every minute of your stay in Bostwana. Hold those memories in your heart and mind to cherish always. Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandy -- It is so good to see another post and to keep up on your adventures. I can tell that you kinda liked the music festival, huh?! Haha. You are so sweet and I am glad that you are getting to experience so much of another world! How cool! Call when/if you can get a chance. We miss you a lot and I need a Mandy fix!! :-)

    I look forward to talking to/hearing again from you soon.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the photo-essay to go along with your stories! I love the glimpses in your comments of the comparisons and responses going through your mind as you experience African culture. That the guys play games and women do all the work - priceless!

    ReplyDelete