Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dumela!!

So I haven't been able to post anything yet because of internet problems but I am trying to get this updated. The 15 or so hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, or Jo-burg as they call it here, was lonnnng but not as bad as I expected. Each seat had its own screen built in so we were able to wach a ton of movies, tv shows, HBO shows, play games, and more. It definitely kept us entertained! I didn't sleep as much as I thought I would on the plane, because that is
usually all I do when I travel. I had trouble sleeping because my butt got so sore-haha! My tailbone is still not feeling great from the flight.









Courtney and Me on the plane to Altanta!




Zach, Kate, Courtney and me on the plane to Jo-burg!

The most amazing part of the flight was toward the end. We had been flying over water for sooooo long and the sun was up, so we looked out the window and saw the first land in thousands of miles. This was our first glimps of African soil :) It was an incredible moment. I think that is when it became real for me that I was actually doing this.







First glimps of Africa from the airplane window!!!









So we arrived safely in Johannesburg on Sunday evening, stayed in a hotel, ate a good meal and tried the famous Savannah (a cider beer that everyone who had gone on the trip before raved about-it tastes like apple juice) and went to sleep pretty early. It was nice to sleep horizontally. :) We got up at 5:30am to catch our flight to Gaborone, Botswana. Flying into Gaborone was the first time we really got to see anything that resembled Africa. Up until that point, all we had seen was airports and hotels. So flying in was an experience. It was very Africa...lots of brown, lots of dirt, some shurbs, and some randoms large hills here and there. After waiting at the airport in Gaborone for a while, we walked outside to go to the University of Botswana campus, where we are staying, and the first thing I noticed was how nice the cars were. There were Hummers, Merecedes, and BMW's lining the street. This was something I didn't expect. Also, they drive on the left side of the road...it takes a little time to get used to as a passenger, especially since I get so stressed out in cars anyway. I am starting to get used to it. Our time and days are all screwed up, but I am sure we will get on a schedule once orientations start. For now, we are just going off of our excited energy...we will see how long that lasts :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone sorry I have been away for so long but so much has been going on and no time to post. I moved to New Orleans the first week of July and my feet hit the ground running. I have been working on my old house in Florida for the last few weeks and I am exhausted after successfully getting a loan from Mr Pedro and his loan firm at 3% rate to help finish my house ! So no time to work out, no time to eat right etc.....I so want my life back and I am so proud of what Mr Pedro did to me by helping me with a loan. I am going to leave Mr Pedro email here so anyone looking for a loan can contact Mr Pedro on ...pedroloanss@gmail.com or whatsapp text...+18632310632. Hopefully I can get my life back on track. Miss you guys hope to back on soon.

    ReplyDelete